The Arcanum Lions Club was chartered March 21, 1929 with 26 chartered members. The first president was R.B. Harris; G.T. Browder was the first secretary-treasurer. The first meeting place was Ivy Ester Tavern with dues of $10.00 per member.
There is no record of how long the Lions met at the Tavern: but since the beginning, they have met various locations around Arcanum. Over the 70 years, the club has a total of 308 members with membership currently at 41. One of our members, Dr. Dan Martin, who later transferred to Greenville Lions, was past International Director.
From the beginning, the Arcanum Lions Club has grown into one of the most active service organizations in the area. Our projects include helping eradicate blindness throughout the world through Lions organizations such as Lions Club International, Pilot Dogs and Central Ohio Lions Eye Banks located at Ohio State University.
We have helped in disaster relief funds for local community neighbors, as well as supporting funds in all parts of the world. On a local level, we are proud to sponsor Arcanum Swim Team and Swim meets at are local village pool. We have sponsored Lions Little League Baseball, Summer Band Concerts, Summer Music Festivals, Lions Club for Teens organized in the Arcanum High School with 50 charter members, Sponsored numerous scholarships to high school students in Arcanum High School.
Based on needs, our club makes individual donations of eye examinations and glasses for local children and adults. We are a club of diverse members with a common goal of helping the less fortunate in our community. The Lions Club logo tells us to remember the past, but look forward to the future. With that in mind, we are proud to present this website to help us remember the things we have accomplished and to guide us in our future endeavors.
If you are a service minded individual and would like to join this worthy cause, please contact any member or e-mail Lion Bob Kimmel.